CESI History

Timeline

THE 1950s

THE "X" LAB

The need to carry out experiments and network studies persuaded Italy’s large electromechanical companies (Pirelli, SAE, Ercole Marelli, Ansaldo), along with most of the electricity sector (Edison, SADE, Montecatini, Falck), together with the majority of electrical industries (Edison, SADE, Montecatini, Falck), that they needed a “Great Power Laboratory”. In the early 50s, the "X Laboratory" was born. In the 1956, the partners established that the Laboratory will take the name of CESI (Italian Electrical and Technical Experimental Center). At the end of the decade, CESI developed a leadership position in determining short-circuit power inside transmission lines and load flow problems.
THE 1960s

THE COMING OF ENEL

In 1962 Italy’s electricity sector was nationalized under the umbrella of ENEL, the national electricity utility. In 1964, ENEL decided to use CESI's laboratories to carry out targeted studies for its operations. The company took a majority shareholding in CESI, ushering in a new era for CESI and a determination to make it one of the leaders in its sector. This was like a second foundation for CESI, with the willingness to maintain it at the top technical level in the sector. 1967 saw the construction of the first facility to control the spread of fires dues to the combustion of electric cables, and of the testing laboratory for electrical equipments, explosion-proof, which have to be fixed in areas with danger of fire or explosions.
THE 1970s

STRATEGIC NEW LABS

CESI, under the boost of the increase in electricity consumption, built new laboratories, also for high voltage cable tests. This gave birth to the "1000 kV's Poject", which was realized for the transport of energy and high voltage on the Italian electrical networks. Thanks to this project, CESI would be the main actor on the development of all testing equipments. The "1000 kV's Poject" was a key step in the history of electrical industry's research, not only in Italy but also in the world.
THE 1980s

THE ROLE OF CERTIFICATION

In 1987, CESI realized the Electromagnetic compatibility Laboratory (also known as anechoic room) for the study of the electromagnetic capability's degree of electronic equipments. In the same year, it was one of the promoters of ALPI (Association of testing laboratories and agencies). In 1988, CESI signed a convention with IMQ which bring to fruition the CSQ (Certified Quality Systems).

THE 1990s

RENEWABLE ENERGY PIONEERS

In 1989, ENEL charged CESI with researching options for storing electricity for use in the energy network and in vehicles. Researchers sought to discover whether batteries could store power from alternative electricity generation facilities such as solar PV and wind power. The project focused not just on developing and bringing to commercialization new types of batteries but also created prototype electric vehicles.
2002

GLOBAL EXPANSION

In 2002, CESI acquired the Piacenza's laboratory from ENEL Produzione, which has integrated and uprated the offer of monitoring systems for thermoelectric plants during the operation, and of maintenance. In addition, the company got the hydraulic and structural pole from Enel.Hydro which was offering appropriate services for hydroelectric plants.

2005 saw CESI qualification in laboratory tests extended because of the acquisition from Vattenfall Europe of IPH (in Berlin) and FGH GmbH (in Mannheim), two companies that are working in the field of high, medium and low voltage electrical components.
2004

GLOBAL EXPANSION

The purchase of ISMES gave CESI expertise in land conservation, preservation of monuments, equipment diagnostics and the qualification structure of the industrial product, monitoring services and industrial product testing.
2005

GLOBAL EXPANSION

From Vattenfall Europe, CESI acquired IPH (in Berlin) and FGH GmbH (in Mannheim), two companies with expertise in testing high, medium and low voltage electrical components.
2012

GLOBAL EXPANSION

CESI do Brazil and CESI Middle East were established.
2018

GLOBAL EXPANSION

CESI acquires the US company EnerNex, a leading U.S. electric power engineering and consulting firm, based in Knoxville (Tennessee) which provides research, engineering and consulting services to the electric power industry.
2019

GLOBAL EXPANSION

CESI acquires KEMA laboratories from DNV GL. The acquired KEMA testing and inspections facilities include the world’s largest high-power laboratory, with the highest short circuit power of 10,000 MVA, and the world’s first laboratory capable of testing ultra-high voltage components for super grids, as well as the Flex Power Grid Laboratory, for advanced testing of smart grids components. The acquisition of KEMA Laboratories makes CESI the world’s leading provider of independent testing of power components.