Wind energy will lead the way in the transformation of the global electricity sector. By 2050, there could be more than 5,000 GW of installed wind capacity, according to the International Renewable Energy Agency , generating more than 35% of total electricity supply.
The evolution of the wind industry has been rapid and remarkable, allowing onshore and offshore wind to be cost-competitive with fossil fuel generation sources. Ongoing innovations include larger capacity turbines, and increased hub heights and rotor diameters to help improve yields, while technological advancements in wind turbine foundations are a key enabling factor for offshore wind development. Offshore wind farms also require the construction of transmission lines, mainly using DC technology.
Large-scale integration of wind energy sources creates technical, economic, environmental and social impacts that must be mitigated, due to the variable and intermittent nature of the power generated, as well as to the visual impact and noise pollution from wind farms. CESI can help overcome these challenges, providing support throughout the entire wind project lifecycle with electrical engineering, structural and environmental expertise, in particular the following services:
- Planning and operational studies
- RES maximum penetration studies
- Technical due diligence
- Grid connection studies
- Submarine cable connection studies and engineering
- Regulatory and market studies
- Power plant performance assessments
- Technical specification and procurement assistance
- Design review
- Construction and commissioning supervision
- Asset management and maintenance optimization
- Grid code compliance
- Environmental studies and permitting