Pre-feasibility study for the Arco Norte HV interconnection project linking Suriname, Guyana, French Guiana and Brazil
CESI was chosen by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) to conduct a study of energy integration between Guyana, French Guiana, Suriname and the northern Brazilian cities of Boa Vista and Macapá in order to assess the feasibility of integrating the four countries’ electricity markets and harnessing the untapped energy potential of the Guianas.
The specific objectives of the consultancy were to:
- Identify and evaluate electricity demand in the Arco Norte Project area
- Identify and evaluate the power supply potential of Guyana and Suriname
- Identify and evaluate the political, institutional, regulatory, technical, economic, environmental and social issues
- Identify feasible and sustainable options for an electrical interconnector and recommend the best way to expand electricity generation and to interconnect the Arco Norte countries
- Prepare a road map with critical path actions for the short, medium and long-term development of the project