CESI was founded in 1956, and has more then 50 years of experience in testing and consulting services for the electrical industry.
THE 50s – THE "X" LAB
The strong necessity of doing experimental tests and network studies persuaded the big electromechanical industries (Pirelli, SAE, Ercole Marelli, Ansaldo), together with the majority of electrical industries (Edison, SADE, Montecatini, Falck), of the need of a "Great Power laboratory". In the early 50s, the "X Laboratory" was born. Because of the name, it was considered more like an acronym of a secret military operation or a movie title that a scientific and industrial project. In the 1956, the partners established that the Laboratory will take the name of CESI (Italian Electrical and Technical Experimental Center). At the end of the 50s, CESI is developed a leadership in the determination of short-circuit powers inside the transmission lines and in load flows' problems. And, already in the 1958, its international aim is attested thanks to an important commission: the study of the system El Chocón – Buenos Aires for the construction of two hydroelectric plants.
THE 60s – THE COMING OF ENEL
The problems of the unification of electrical frequencies and of the interconnection networks, to be able to interchange the energy between an "island" and another and consequently achieving the unity of the electrical Italy, leaded to the establishment in 1962 of ENEL (National Agency for the electricity). In the 1964, ENEL decided to use CESI's laboratories to make targeted studies for its operative activity. The company purchased the majority of the capital of CESI. This was like a second foundation for CESI, with the willingness to maintain it at the top technical level in the sector. 1967 saw the construction of the first facility to control the spread of fires dues to the combustion of electric cables, and of the testing laboratory for electrical equipments, explosion-proof, which have to be fixed in areas with danger of fire or explosions.
THE 70s – THE DEVELOPMENT PLAN
CESI, under the boost of the increase in electricity consumption, built new laboratories, also for high voltage cable tests. This gave birth to the "1000 kV's Poject", which was realized for the transport of energy and high voltage on the Italian electrical networks. Thanks to this project, CESI would be the main actor on the development of all testing equipments. The "1000 kV's Poject" was a key step in the history of electrical industry's research, not only in Italy but also in the world.
THE 80s – CERTIFICATION
In 1987, CESI realized the Electromagnetic compatibility Laboratory (also know as anechoic room) for the study of the electromagnetic capability's degree of electronic equipments. In the same year, it was one of the promoters of ALPI (Association of testing laboratories and agencies). The aim of ALPI was working together to obtain both National and International appreciation of the role of independent laboratories as a support of national industry and economy. In 1988, CESI signed a convention with IMQ which bring to fruition the CSQ (Certified Quality Systems). The CSQ was an initiative for the certification of quality systems in companies like CESI, and it was recognized as an help to get a firm on the future European market with all the necessary requirements to be able to compete on equal terms with others firms in the same field of activity.
THE 90s – PIONEERS IN RES SOLUTIONS
At December 1989, ENEL charged CESI with a research project to be finished in three years: the Electrical storage for a stationary and vehicular use. The topic was the application of the electrical battery not only on traditional electronic plants but especially on non traditional ones (like photovoltaic and wind power), in which the energy is produced when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing, and it can also be used in other moments. The project faced off the development and industrialization of pioneering batteries and, at the same time, wanted to realized prototypes of electric vehicles with an highest degree of innovation in their structures, manipulation and control.
THE YEARS 2000 – ACQUISITIONS
In 2002, CESI acquired the Piacenza's laboratory from ENEL Produzione, which has integrated and uprated the offer of monitoring systems for thermoelectric plants during the operation, and of maintenance. In addition, the company got the hydraulic and structural pole from Enel.Hydro which was offering appropriate services for hydroelectric plants. ISMES is purchased in 2004 and CESI can increased its competences in sectors like land conservation and for structures by natural hazards, diagnostic equipments and the qualification structure of the industrial product, for the preservation of monuments and monitoring services. 2005 saw CESI qualification in laboratory tests extended because of the acquisition from Vattenfall Europe of IPH (in Berlin) and FGH GmbH (in Mannheim), two companies that are working in the field of high, medium and low voltage electrical components. CESI Ricerca is created in 2005 with Enea, and it has been transferred in its entirety to GSE (Electrical Services Manager) in 2009.
S.p.A. 2012 VAT No. IT00793580150